[Rhodes22-list] Generator

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Apr 1 09:43:30 EST 2005

Wally, Brad,

There are a lot of different starter packs on the market, some are
terrific, some are junk--it's hard to tell the difference from the package.

The original, and best, ones work great.  I've had one for 10 years that
can still start my truck.  I've used it to drive electric boat motors,
to recharge cell phones, to power air pumps, to test electric circuits
on the boat.  It's light weight (compared to a standard 12V battery,)
self contained, doesn't have to be kept upright, will recharge using 110
or a cigarette lighter plug...and it really can jump start a truck any
day of the week (If you've got a big dead battery, best to take it out
of the loop before starting the truck.)

All the battery packs consist of small 12v batteries enclosed in plastic
cases with jumper cables attached and 12v cigarette plugs.  Some have
more bells and whistles.  Mine also has 5 leds to show charge status,
and came with a 110 to 12v inverter.

10 years ago mine cost $100, it is now available for $40-$70 and I
recently bought a second because I figure the first one can't last
forever.  Mine was so expensive because it was one of the first uses of
AGM batteries for the consumer market.  It packed a lot of power in a
small space; had a long shelf life;  no maintenance--it was not a wet
cell; recharged quickly; could also discharge slowly for extended use
for lighting or small appliances; would take a lot of recharge
cycles--in short it was an excellent application for this type of
battery--the only down side was cost.

When this product succeeded, cheaper imitations began to flood the
market.  To lower the cost, they used cheaper batteries, including some
that are nothing more than wet cell motorcycle batteries inside a
plastic case.  Needless to say, these did not work as well, and have
hurt the reputation of the product category.

The second one I bought seems to work as well as the first.  Both of the
battery packs I bought look like this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=7962&R=7962

although I can't vouch for the quality of the battery inside the case.
Since this particular one is sold by Northern Tools, which is good both
on price and on backing its products, my guess is that you would be
satisfied with it.

Bill Effros