[Rhodes22-list] Nautical Landmark #2

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 06:57:55 EDT 2005

Ed,

Not a problem.  Use a piece of string and a globe.

Actually, I used to fly the polar route from Anchorage
to Prestwick, Scotland, twice when the sun spot
activity was so bad the HF radios didn't work. We ran
radio silent from coast out at Point Barrow, AK to
coast in at Scotland.  If anything hiccupped, the
nearest suitable alternate at the equal time point was
Alert, three hours away and is nothing more than light
poles sticking up through the frozen snow. (Alert was
so named because it was an early warning station
looking for Soviet missles coming over the top of the
world) The northern most route goes over the exact
geographic North Pole.  If in fact you hit it dead on,
the Inertial Nav system does a ninety degree turn for
about 30 seconds because it references everything to
true North/South and doesn't know where it is.  One
you've experienced that you learn to go into heading
hold about a minute prior, miss the North Pole by a
half-mile or so, then back to NAV mode.  I don't miss
the 10 hour legs but do miss the catering!

Brad

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200503/30/NauticalLand