[Rhodes22-list] Hanks & Daves GPS Compass Analysis

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Apr 7 16:55:19 EDT 2005

Hank,
	You made me go back and look at the directions.  Yes, movement is
involved, but the heading is based on satellite fixes.  The north stays put
at north, the heading varies.  So yes you can figure out true north and set
a compass by it.
	The compass mode is not instantaneous but takes 15 to 20 feet to
tune in an accurate heading.  My driveway is about 10 degrees west of north.

Dave,
	Note that my GPS is a Magellan Meridian with a compass mode, not
just a heading.  You can also use the heading mode to a fixed landmark.  If
you walk slowly the compass mode works like a hand held compass.  If you
stop it maintains the last direction.  I just went and walked up and down
the street in front of my house to check it out.  As long as you are moving,
it has an N that rotates like a compass.  As you change directions the big N
points north within the distance stated above.  Turn the GPS while walking
and N points north.
Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA