[Rhodes22-list] Hanks & Daves GPS Compass Analysis

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 16:55:35 EDT 2005

OR NOT!

When I grounded the "CoraShen" a few weeks ago,
navigating by pilotage, I turned on the GPS so I could
report co-ordinates to any would be rescuers.  GPS's
work great to avoid dangerous shoals, but technique
only, they work better when turned on and available at
the helm.

All this talk about compasses brings back bad memories
of old test questions and memory aids;  east is least,
west is best - accelerate north, decelerate south -
variation +/- deviation = true, etc., way to much to
remember this day and age.  Every boat needs a compass
to give it that salty, seaworthy look.  Bill got it
about right.  I think the best compass would be one
with a flat top you could rest your beer (or rum) on.
Better yet, mount your GPS on it and monitor the
compass swing when you turn it on.

Brad

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attch/200504/07/cid_010101c4b914762420200a00000aD9X6Q611.gif

> >> Use Rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org, Help?