[Rhodes22-list] Navigation 101

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Apr 8 12:28:15 EDT 2005

Slim,

For most people at this point we simply direct them to the local Coast
Guard or Power Squadron navigation courses, and move on to the next
thread.  However, in your case, we realize that you are working when
these courses are given, and so we're inclined to cut you a little slack.

Navigation is a kick and a half.  It's more fun than sailing on most
boats.

It's useful for those of us who know how to navigate to clear out the
cobwebs from time to time, and review what we learned many years ago.
If others help put together this mini-course, you will at least
understand the basics of navigation by the time you hit Lake Superior.
I'll start, but I'm hoping others will contribute because boating season
is starting here, and I'll be spending more time in the cockpit than on
the keyboard.

I'm working on the syllabus, but I'll jump right in with Chapter 1 which
would have to be the topic you originally raised -- compass.  Each
chapter will be a separate thread so others can jump in.

Like music, you will find everything is easy to understand, but it takes
practice to get good at it.

Bill Effros