[Rhodes22-list] NC-PHRF

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 8 15:00:21 EDT 2005

Scott,

The RC and R22 (IMF) are essentially the same boat.  The hull mold,
centerboard, and rudder are identical, with the only exception being the
relatively recent arrival of the "diamond board" on newer boats.  Raven is
an '88 and does not have a diamond board.

In the beginning, Stan made Rhodes Continentals.  I know this because my
father purchased one from him in the late '70s.  After a while, Stan got
some good ideas to improve the boat, and he included many improvements with
the newer boats.  The Rhodes Continental begat the Rhodes 22.  The name
change came sometime in the '80s, I think.

Most modern Rhodes 22s have IMF, heavier "non-porta" potties, more nice
interior finishes and heavier, beefed up hulls.  All this ads up. In short,
the new boats are heavier and they have less powerful rigs.  If one were to
apply logic, it would be clear that the lighter Rhodes Continentals with
their more powerful, larger, roachy, battened, standard mainsails and
adequate amounts of sail draft are faster.  To get the main to roll up flat
on the vertical IMF roller, much of the sail shape that generates power to
drive the boat must be compromised.  Like Rummy, most IMF owners don't care
or know about this.

So far, I find NC-PHRF inscrutable.  Rating the RC at 264 and the R22 at 216
makes no sense.  It must be an error.

PT