[Rhodes22-list] Compasses

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Apr 8 16:44:10 EDT 2005

Step one checks out.  I took a full sheet of newspaper and creased it in
half both ways and diagonally and drew lines with a straight edge.  Since my
compass is still mounted on the splash board, it's an easy and sure way to
line the board up on the lines on the paper.  I laid the newspaper out on my
wooden dining room table and went to work on the adjustments. After about 35
minutes of fiddling, I got it to be consistent on all lines (8 positions) to
within a half of a degree.  Then I repeated the test in other rooms of the
house and basement and out on the front walk.  Results were consistent, so
my compass is working.  However, I always thought my house and the street in
front ran exactly north and south but the compass is saying it's a few
degrees off.  And maybe the street isn't exactly north and south but I don't
have a second compass to cross reference.  I have a couple small hand-helds
on the boat but not here at home.

Slim