[Rhodes22-list] Looking for a used R22, southeast US

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Sat Apr 9 14:39:17 EDT 2005

C&D,
I'm pretty new to sailing- I had a Styrofoam 11 foot boat for 20 years which
was fun and cheap to own,but not very comfortable. Then , four years ago I
took the leap and bought a Com-Pac 16,nice little boat,but no cabin room to
sleep or eat or get out of the rain in comfort.I spent over $1500. in
maintained and upgrades by the time I sold it a year and a half later.I'm
starting the third season on the Rhodes next week I'm trailering to Lake
Norman,N.C. from Creston ,Ohio.I like the Rhodes for it's singlehanding
ability. With the com-pac, it got a little dicey strapping down the tiller
and going out on the foredeck to hank on the jib and raising the main and
then having to do the reverse at the end of the day, not to mention bagging
the sails and stowing them.Reefing them is another treat I don't miss.What
I'm trying to say is, alot of times I could have sailed,I didn't because of
all the hassle involved in rigging the sails on the com-pac.On the Rhodes
it's not uncommon for us to have the sails in and out 3 or 4 times a day.
There is alot more room in the boat when you don't have to stow sails in the
cabin.I bought an older (86) boat that the motor had just been stolen,and
did not have many options, no electronics.But it did have the pop top
enclosure,bimini,cockpit cushions,all must haves in my opinion.
Most of the owners on the list have had their boats a long time,I think that
is because we're spoiled, we're not about to start working to go sailing
ever again.No boat is the right boat for everybody,but give the rhodes a
good hard look,sticker shock is a big deal on the Rhodes,you can buy 2 boats
of another brand for the same price of a Rhodes,that in itself tells you
something.
If I can be of any help let me know,
Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes