[Rhodes22-list] Compasses

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Sun Apr 10 21:58:00 EDT 2005

Here's a bit of information to keep things in prospective. We had our
compass "swung" by the guy who does the US Coast Guard boats in
Wilmington, NC. He said that if you got your compass within (2),  two
degrees, it was considered perfect. You might also consider that nobody
can keep a sailboat under sail set on a course better than =/- 5
degrees, and that's doing good. My autopilot doesn't keep the boat on
the exact heading when under sail. It's constantly making corrections,
sometimes 8 to 10 degrees if there's a sea and or puff hits us.

So it's a moot point as to a compass being off a few degrees on the
Rhodes. You shouldn't be out so far as to be out of sight of land
anyway. The boat's not made for that kind of sailing.

Alex Bell