[Rhodes22-list] Electric start motor

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Apr 14 19:26:37 EDT 2005

Rob,

Stan did the same for me, and I have also been extremely happy with it.
The wires run exactly as Rummy has guessed.   I have a second battery
under the cabin seat, connected to the first battery--no switch, which I
would recommend.  I have solar cells that keep the batteries topped
off.  I haven't used more than 10 gallons of gas a summer, so my motor
isn't on much, but I use it every time I sail, just to make sure it is
available if needed.  I have electric start and love it.  It's not that
I can't pull the cord--it's always there if I want to start that
way--but in emergencies you can lose some knuckles if you try to pull
the cord when the motor is down.

My little alternator always puts more juice back into the batteries than
it takes out when it is working as a starter motor.

Bill Effros