[Rhodes22-list] Energy -go sailing

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 11:03:58 EDT 2005

Bill,

   At the same time he discussed the motivations for OPEC to keep
the price down Koonin mentioned that the states need to maintain
a high level of continuous income - he did not elaborate.  He also
mentioned that OPEC tries to keep a ~10 million barrel/day (if
memory serves) capacity buffer, which at the moment is gone.
A number of alternative technologies were discussed - biomass,
solar, wind, coal liquefication.  Coal-related technologies seem to
be the most viable - coal coversion to diesel is competititve now -
but plant construction depends on future cost projections.

Ron