[Rhodes22-list] A Pirate Looks at 50

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Tue Apr 19 09:56:48 EDT 2005

I woke up this morning staring 50 full in the face. I know it's a monument
birthday, a milestone, but somehow it doesn't seem a whole lot different
than turning over 50 miles on the odometer of my bike after I turn it back
to zero....only this time I can't turn it back to zero. So, I think it's
more like 50 miles an hour, just a gentle cruise with the wind in your
face.... Or maybe like sailing my boat single handed, an inevitable
slipping along to new or familiar places. Now it's simply the journey that
matters.

  When I was young(er) I always had in the back of my mind the notion that
"when I'm young again.....", but in the past couple of years this notion
has faded, replaced by a sense of just traveling along on the water, trying
to avoid the shallows and sandbars, but learning nonetheless if you get
hung on one.

There was no revelation following the tolling of the bells of my birth
hour, or enhancement of insight, I don't even think any of my hair went
grey(er), or I acquired any new wrinkles.

No, today I don't feel maudlin or especially reflective, just thankful to
be here. All the cliches, like, "if I'd have known I was gonna live this
long, I would've taken better care of myself", just go out the window, and
I keep riding down the path. Although I'm certainly not going to score
highly on the list of "he who dies with the most toys wins" mentality, I do
have friends and family who've made this trip more than worthwhile, so the
material things take a distant back seat. And living here is like living in
the pages of a Steinbeck novel. I think that's the way it is with most
coastal communities, and I guess I'm just another character.

So what's next? Well, just because I turned fifty doesn't mean any dreams
went out the window too. I still want to circumnavigate the Gulf and near
Caribbean, I want to take a monumental road trip or two, maybe visit some
places I've never been. But for right now, I plan on continuing sailing,
surfing, riding, diving, fishing,  taking care of business, exploring the
islands in my life, eating at D' Pizza Joint, drinking a little beer (maybe
a little rum too...), enjoying days like today, when the air smells like
the sea, and you can hear the waves crashing on the shoreline and all of
the other things that make up this crazy patchwork collage that I call my
life. Mostly I plan on enjoying the journey with my family and friends....

Although I have never spoken to any of you personally, after having
interacted with many of you via this list, you all have been included, by
proxy in that collage.... .

Cheers to you my fellow waterpeople
jw

Jim White