[Rhodes22-list] AM/FM/CD radio speakers

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Apr 20 09:56:09 EDT 2005

George,

I'd like to know more about your system in your home.

Boats are just converting to wireless systems.  There are numerous
wireless instrument systems available, and it's just a matter of time
before people start developing more elaborate stereo systems that are
more forgiving in a marine environment.

You will find that your boat is remarkably dry.  I have installed an
inexpensive sacrificial land based stereo system that I thought I would
replace yearly.  I am seven years into the system, and still have not
had to replace it. (I sail on salt water, and the system is near salt
water all year--because the boat is so dry I don't see much of a
difference between my water based environment and the land based systems
installed in the homes right next to the water.)  The sound is superior
to any marine environment system I've ever heard.  I don't have to move
my speakers whether I'm in the cockpit, in the cabin, or bottom painting.

Movable marine speakers implies a place to move them to.  Think about
it.  Where would that be?

People mount speakers at the aft end of the cockpit seats, and inside
the cabin.  My speakers are mounted on the U-shaped tube that holds up
the pop top.

You don't want to spend your free time moving speakers around, and you
don't want to sail thinking all the time about keeping exposed speakers
and electronics dry.

Interested to know what you decide.

Bill Effros