[Rhodes22-list] rigging

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Apr 26 00:56:15 EDT 2005

Tom,

I've been using plastic locking cable ties for the past 3 years with
great success.

Use the biggest size that fits through the hole.  The length is not
important because you cut off the entire tail.  Wrap it with rigging
tape so water can escape through the bottom of the turnbuckle.

Cut through the rigging tape and then cut the cable tie when you want to
change the rigging.  They don't shear unexpectedly--I've had some of
them installed for more than 2 years.  If one should shear, the
turnbuckle will only turn 1/2 turn before the plastic locking head
wedges between the threaded part and the body of the turnbuckle, once
again immobilizing it.

They are very cheap -- they run around $7.50 for a million at Home
Depot.  (or something like that)  I keep an extra dozen on board -- just
in case -- and never use them.  But when it comes time to take down the
rigging, or to put it up, I can do a turnbuckle in less than a minute.
The plastic ties never fall into the water because they float and you
wouldn't lose them.

The finished package is very flat, and does not scrape you as you pass
by a little too close.  No rusting issue.

Bill Effros