[Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Sea Trials

William E. Wickman wewickman at duke-energy.com
Wed Apr 27 12:02:06 EDT 2005

Ed,
Thanks for the ideas.  I may very well check out one of these marinias.
Yes, I have a digital camera that I plan to use to document the trip.  I'll
share the good pictures with the group.

Bill W.

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "ed kroposki"          |
|         |           <ekroposki at charter.net>|
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           rhodes22-list-bounces at r|
|         |           hodes22.org            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           04/26/2005 05:30 PM    |
|         |           Please respond to The  |
|         |           Rhodes 22 mail list    |
|         |                                  |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       "'The Rhodes 22 mail list'" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Rhodes22-list] Outer Banks Sea Trials                                                                   |

Bill:
             1.  I use USAA.  I am only concerned about liability.
Remember,
Stan says that the Rhodes 22 is unsinkable.
             2.  Is that Richard Smith that commented earlier, the same
Richard
Smith from New York?  If yes, he is the experienced blue water sailor.  His
comments are most relevant.
             3.  The area does not look like the charts, no way no how.
There is
plenty of sheltered sailing in that area without going "outside".  There
could be draw bridges involved.  There is one Marina inside the draw bridge
between Morehead City and Beaufort that I have not checked out, however
from
a distance looked very promising.  There are public ramps readily
available.
There are no marinas that I saw that specifically cater to sailboats.  That
said, there are some at each marina and on the hook all over the place.
While Oriental bills itself as the sailing capital I would recommend
Beaufort as having more resources.
             4.  Another consideration would be Harkers Island.  There are
couple of marinas on the island.  Calico Jack's has a small motel and
restaurant.  If you pulled from Tennessee it would be a destination that
you
say at the motel, have food, etc.  It is more remote from Beaufort, with
access to Cape Lookout and the waters between.
             5.  Every time I have been in the area, the ocean waves have
been
quite sizeable.  Staying inside the barrier islands would offer sailing
suitable to a Rhodes 22 with access to the islands where ever you want.
                 Here are some Web sites that I am familiar with:
http://www.matthewspoint.com/
The last time I was in the area, I did not have time to check this place
out.  It is a was off the main roads.  I learned about it from other sail
boaters.
http://www.northwestcreekmarina.com/
This might be the home of Alex and Vana and Mariner Canvass.  Since you are
new to the list, Alex is the Alex who has made a comment or two on the
Rhodes 22 list in the last few months.
http://www.capelookoutferry.com/
Marina with motel and restaurant.
http://www.ncwaterways.com/