[Rhodes22-list] Re: Salt Water Sailing

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 15:27:44 EDT 2005

Richard,

Wow, do you think if those relatively benign conditions were too much
for those folks, that it would have been possible to make sailors of them??

We have never spent time in salt water yet. We have though, beat all day
long in 15 to 20 knot breezes against a 3 to 4 foot wind driven chop,
both in our R22 and now in our Flicka. This to make the trip from the
bridge across KY Lake, back up to Light House Landing marina, which is
about 20 miles. Fetch with that wind direction was also about 20 miles,
against the current. We actually found this quite exhilarating, but also
pretty tiring. NOT particularly scary though.

But, all this makes me curious: Would the conditions you described on
this trip around the Statue of Liberty somehow be tougher or worse than
the conditions I just described?

Rik Sandberg