[Rhodes22-list] Tow Vehicles

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 27 19:12:26 EDT 2005

Slim,

Yeah, I've been trying, but my email at work is giving me fits. I sent
the salt water post to the list, then I could not send to the list
again. I'm rewriting (AGAIN) at home now.

Doug ..... you're too kind. :-)

I found, with our R-22 that our V-6, S-10 Chevy extended cab, 4x4 did
quite a good job of towing for us. I've never compared the wheelbase on
the S-10 with the Chevy Blazer/Trail Blazer, so I can't say with
certainty that the Blazer would work as well. There have been several
other owners on the list who have used them and seemed pretty satisfied
with their towing ability. I tow our Flicka@ 6000 lbs. + trailer with a
1500 Chevy, extended cab, short box, 4x4. It does a very nice job, both
on the rhighway and on the ramp. Yes, I am partial to 4 wheel drive,
mostly because of the 2 speed transfer case. This is a truly great
feature on the ramp. Ask Elton about our S-10 sometime :-)

When looking for a tow vehicle, a longer wheelbase is always better.
There is another factor to consider though and that is the relationship
between the length of the wheelbase and the length of the overhang (rear
axle to hitch ball) behind the rear axle. If your overhang in back is
shorter, your vehicle will tend to be more stable with weight hanging
back there.. So if you are considering two different vehicles with the
same wheelbase and one has a shorter overhang in back than the other,
the one with the shorter overhang will generally be the more stable tow
vehicle.

I think the overhang on the Blazer is pretty short. That is probably why
it tows pretty well with what appears to be a pretty short wheelbase.

I am not a big fan of that trailer hitch in the front deal. It isn't all
that hard to learn to back a trailer properly. A 2 wheel drive van or
pickup on a ramp with the tongue weight of the trailer hanging on the
front bumper is going to be a bit hard up for traction. This is the same
reason that you see front wheel drive vehicles spinning their wheels on
a ramp. The weight is not on the wheels where the power is and as you
pull harder it gets worse as weight shifts the wrong way.

Now, if you want to put a hitch on the front of a 4x4, that is a whole
'nother deal. :-)

If I can offer any further advice, feel free to ask. You all know I
always have an opinion. :-)

Rik