[Rhodes22-list] Another 1/2 century Rhodie

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Wed Apr 27 22:55:32 EDT 2005

About the same time Jim White was turning 50, so was I. The weekend before,I packed up the wife,dog(overweight,spoiled rotted, Dalmatian) and the Rhodes, and headed south 500 mi. to Lake Norman. The 2003 Toyota Fore-runner pulled the new Triad trailer much,much better than the old single axel. I never towed the single axle more than 60 mi. at a time, so it was a wake-up call when my normal 20 mpg got cut in half on the way to Lake Norman, 10.5 MPG is the best I got on the trip.
 Got to L.N. on Saturday the 16th ,too tired to set up the boat, parked it in my brother in laws driveway for the night. Sunday morning , Paul (B.I.L.) and I launched and set-up the boat.Paul's boss offered us free use of his dock and ramp,of coarse the ramp was surrounded by overhanging trees. Which is why we launched and then set -up the boat,takes a little more time to raise the mast on the water. Sunday's sail went well with 5 people and one dog aboard,5-10 kts. wind, and more open water to sail on than I've ever had.
 Monday, it was just Carol (my wife) and Duke (spoiled rotten dog) and I,we're about 1/2 mi from the dock and inquires what is that in the water behind us? Long story short,it's the dock owners American bulldog wanting a sailboat ride.Ultimate dog lover and first mate implies that life will not be worth living until that dog is in this boat or on shore(1/4 mi. away).I stand up and yell  GO TO SHORE. Dog is deft. Grab line out of lazz.,tie off on swim ladder,lower ladder just past 90 degrees,dog clambers up like it's not even close to his first trip up a swim ladder.Four good shakes pretty well coats the cockpit and occupants with water and dog hair.Carol pats the seat beside her in invitation, but Bud (the newest canine conniver) doesn't want a wet cockpit seat,he drips his way across the settee to his throne on the v-berth.Bud has found his mark.
  Tuesday,THEE big day,Carol greets me with a box from my brothers and sisters,a garman gps map 76 s. Now ,I not only know how fast I'm going,I have an inkling of where I'm going.
  Wednesday,each day gets a little warmer and a little more windy. The topper of the week had to be when,with 5 people and 2 dogs aboard , we caught up and passed a Mac 26. As we quickly over took him the skipper said "ok where are you hiding the other motor". Thanks Stan.
  Thursday is warmer and windy,85 degrees and 10-15 kts.Get ready to drop the hook for lunch,then decide to get the wind on the stern,it's pushing us at 1-2 kts,(sails furled),good enough,latch the tiller extension in Stan's auto pilot,and slowly cruise for a 45 min. lunch.
  Friday the wind picks up to15-20 kts,whitecaps abound.I have my niece and her friend out for the day,their more into napping and catching the sun than risking their well being,showing off the canvas.Slowly cut the sails back all day long,by the time we headed in I was down to about 1/2 the main and no jib.
   Saturday,storms from the north were heading south. Winds were 20-30 kts. gusting 30+. Time to tear down and pull the boat.the wind was directly on the beam , when tied to the dock.Not wanting the wind working on the side of the mast as I lowered it, I tied the bow off on the end of  the dock facing the wind,lowering went well. UNTILL the water-skiers came by with the mast half way down, sure ups the incentive to crank faster.
  Sunday was a day of much needed rest.
Monday the cold weather arrived,frost on the deck as I gave last inspection for the road.the trip home was long,but uneventful ,traffic was lighter than normal both ways,a blessing.
Sorry Ed, but family ,free dock and room and board won out,but I will make it to Hartwell one of these days.If you arrange a sail-in at Hartwell next year for the Rhodies,I'll come for sure.
Jerry Lowe
S/V Country Rhodes