[Rhodes22-list] A Tow Veh. question.

Alex Bell alexbell at lpmonline.net
Thu Apr 28 12:22:33 EDT 2005

Bob,

Eight years ago I bought a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 30,000 miles.
Since it was still under the 36K warranty, I was able to purchase the
100K warranty. Since then, I had the power steering oil cooler spring a
leak and they replace the rotors under warranty. I've replaced the
battery (twice as of this week) replaced tires, replaced air filter, gas
filter, water pump and alternator plus the boots on the front axle
shafts. Not bad in 126K miles. It's a keeper. It gets about 19 mpg on
the highway and 16 in city driving. Not bad for a 4wd with a V8 engine.
Out west, in the mountains of Colorado, it was just about adequate for
towing. In Eastern NC it's just loafing along when towing. This area
considers an overpass ramp as a hill, it's so flat.

I think you'd be better off renting a tow vehicle for the one week a
year you'll need to tow long distance. I think Rummy has had good
experience with renting tow vehicles in the past when he assisted new
boat buyers in bringing their prize home. He and Rik seem to have lots
of experience in that area. If you are set on getting your own vehicle,
I think I'd still get a smaller tow vehicle for local use and the money
saved ongas for daily driving would pay for a rental on the road trips.

Where in Mich? I used to sail on Waloon Lake near Petoskey.

Alex Bell