[Rhodes22-list] A Tow Veh. question.

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 07:33:34 EDT 2005

Graham,

Last March I weighed 1988 R22 Raven and her 2003 Triad single axle trailer
on commercial truck scales:

    Triad w/ spare tire                        1,240
    Raven (dry and empty)                 2,620
    combined empty weight                3,860

These weight figures surprised me.  The trailer weighs more and the boat
weighs less than other numbers I've heard.  I think Michael in now building
Triads with a heavier frame.  I also replaced the non-pressure treated Larch
bunks with stronger and more durable #1 Pressure Treated Southern Yellow
Pine and Tie-Down Engineering's bunk-glides and added a two-speed Fulton
winch. (All this to be capable of accurately adjusting tongue weight in the
parking lot).  I'm sure these improvements added some weight to the trailer.

By the time fluids, gear, motor and supplies are added for cruising, the
total combined trailer and boat weight should increase by about 500 pounds.
This is consistent with Slim's 4,400 gross weight estimate and other boat
and trailer weight numbers I've read on the list.

I use several small trailers in my business, up to 10,000 gross weight, and
am familiar with towing small loads under 10,000 pounds.  I would not
recommend pulling an R22 with any vehicle having less than 5,000# towing
capacity.  Extra capacity is better.

Suggest you keep the Astro.  Good luck.

PT