[Rhodes22-list] Number of cylinders

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Fri Apr 29 10:57:28 EDT 2005

 First, let me preface this with the clear statement:
"I'm NOT an engine expert!"

But, I thought I'd pass along a few tibits I've heard along the way.

I knew some powertrain engineers at a previous job, and they said they much
prefer inline 6 motors (or V12 motors) over any other design.  The reason is
because of the ability of the engineer to balance the forces in the inline 6
configuration.  There is an interesting discussion of why this is true (and
what about it isn't QUITE true) you can read at:
http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/harmonics.htm

I really have no knowledge of the 5 cylinder engine, other than the fact
that it can't be inherently balanced.  Of course, all that means is that
counterweights must be added to the motor in some manner (frequently mounted
on a spinning balance shaft) to balance it.  The inline 5 should basically
be balanced about the same as the V10, which has a reputation as a very good
motor.

In the old days, John Deere's tractors used 2 cylinder motors which were
known as putt-putt tractors because of the distinctive sound the motors
made.  Because of the way the motor was configured, the cylinders had to
fire close together in time, followed by a gap.  This gave the motors a
distinctive dugga dugga dugga kind of sound.  When they were under great
load, the sound changed to more of a cha-chug cha-chug cha-chug sound.  Very
distinctive. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you're ever heard
it.

Personally, I own 2 inline sixes.  Of course, a V-12 would be very nice...

--Doug