[Rhodes22-list] headsail furler problem

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Mon Aug 1 13:48:39 EDT 2005

Mary Lou,
The downhaul has taken many different shapes over the years, but it
basically stretches the sail by pulling it down, much easier than climbing the  mast
and trying to stretch it to the top. :)
The sail simply slides out of the furling tube once you have removed the
attaching screws. Depending on your bearing type, the bearing may have to  be
removed on the end you plan to slide the sail out of. Keep screws and  bearings
separate and well marked. I like to take digital pictures when I do  this to
remember how things go back together. Unless you are taking it to a sail  loft,
removing it from the tube is not necessary. However, should you remove it,
getting it back in the slot can take time, but it is possible with a little
effort. All of this should be done on a flat, smooth, dry, clean surface.  Unless
you want to really extend the amount of time required to do this job, do  not
remove the forestay from the furling tube.

Rummy

PS. Be sure to properly support the furling tube so it doesn't bend. Any
bend in the tube will make furling a lot harder.