[Rhodes22-list] Bilge Water

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 8 00:19:19 EDT 2005

Thanks all for your replies...I was away for a few days in Erie, Pa.
visiting relatives...

I grew up on a  wooden sailboat, so water in the bilge was always a given.
After a good sail with the boat on her sides we would take in a lot as the
wooden planks that had not been used to the water would take in a lot.
good memories...

Now, it is fiberglass, and I thank you all for helping me to get more in
tune with a fiberglass vessel, which should not be taking in much water.

I have checked the drain holes at the stern seats and don't find any major
obstructions there. Since our rain has died down, so has the water in the
laz.  Somehow I suspect that is where some of the water in the laz came
from.

Re the bilge,  I will try the hose down method to check for leaks into the
cabin...
IT is interesting to read the different opinions...

I finally met John ( last  name not provided... he seems to be a private
soul), whose Rhodes 22 has been at home on Raritan Bay, I think since 1986,
the year he bought his R-22, new, from a location...did there used to be a
Rhodes distribution location in NY? maybe Long Island even- I think that is
where he said he got his R-22...?
He  has a traditional mainsail, teak rails, and strives to get in 100 sails
a season, at least.  He remembers Stan well. I would love a chance to sail
with him on his boat, but he is truly a single handed sailor, and seemed a
bit taken aback by my request to try to sail his boat with the traditional
main...

(or was it the forwardness of a woman asking for a sail on a gent's
boat...what would his wife say perhaps?)

Since we were away for a while we missed a good sailing weekend...
Hope you all enjoyed a good one.

Phyllis
Whisper
Keyport, NJ