[Rhodes22-list] Finally, a Rhodes

Bud budconnor at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 13 22:03:04 EDT 2005

Hello all,
  I joined the Rhodes 22 mailing list two months ago to learn more about
the boat.
Now I finally have one - a 1990 Rhodes 22,  recycled in 1997.

It is in great condition, has all the standard features, plus...
 - a Yamaha 9.9 with the throttle attached to the tiller
 - tiller extension and tiller tamer
 - the easy mast-raising system (pretty cool to raise the mast the first
time by myself)
 - an IMF
 - a Bimini
 - Pop Top enclosure
 - trailer (in very good condition) with three new tires and bearing buddies
And lots of other goodies ...VHF, Compass, Depth meter, windex, AM/FM
cassette Stereo,
dual (switchable) batteries, lots of spare parts, tools, lines, anchors,
etc.
The boat could use a few new lines and a new companion-way hatch (those
are my kind of projects.)

I live in Melbourne on the east coast of Florida and plan to sail on the
Inter Coastal Waterway.
The ICW is wide here - for about 20 miles in either direction (N/S) from
Melbourne.  I have
sailed on the ICW, and consider myself a novice.  After seeing all the
derelicts after
last year's hurricanes, I wanted a boat that was safe and one that would
not sink.
I also wanted a boat that would be easy to sail (furling main and jib)
for my young family.

I looked at Catalina, Precision, and Santana boats, as I wanted a
trailerable weekender.
I have been all over all three, and have sailed the Catalina.  After
finding out about the
Rhodes, I spent a day sailing with Bob and Sandy Fuller on their boat on
the west coast
of Florida.  It was a very good sailing experience, and I learned a lot
about the Rhodes.
The Rhodes was the best choice for the features I wanted.  Now the bad
news, I have
never tasted Rum (now you really know I am a novice) but I do like a
variety of beers.

Bud Connor
S/V  1990 Rhodes 22 - currently un-named
Melbourne, FL