[Rhodes22-list] Apostle Islands

Slim salm at mn.rr.com
Thu Aug 18 23:14:26 EDT 2005

Hello Todd Z. and welcome to the Rhodes community.  Funny you should mention
the Apostle Islands -- I live in Minneapolis and I just got back today from
a four day trip there.  Yes, you'd love to sail there in a Rhodes 22!

Earlier this year we planned a trip to the Thunder Bay area, but those plans
fell through and so we decided to go to the Apostles for my very first
venture on Lake Superior.

I've sailed some big water in the distant past but this is my "rookie year"
for sailing the Rhodes on the world's largest lake.  It was awesome!  On our
first day out we had winds of 15 - 20 and we broad reached at hull speed or
better for several hours, with following seas and waves 3-4 ft.  It was like
a carnival ride, and for the first few minutes I wished I was on a bigger
boat.  But then I settled in and let the boat do what it does and we rocked
and rolled and put nearly 30 miles under the keel in about 5 hours!!!

There were no navigational problems.  All the islands are within sight and,
barring fog, we we able to see everything, and were able to do the boy scout
thing with just a chart and a baring compass.  Fortunately we had great
weather and we didn't get lost.  We met a kind gentleman at the marina who
pointed out some common anchorages and docks, etc. but we found our own way
just the same.

We found some nice sandy beaches where we beached the boat and let the dog
run.  We had a little rain but nothing to stop us.  We swam in the lake
which is thought of as hypothermia-city, but this year it's the warmest it's
been and we swam in blissfully cool, fresh water several times.   Remarkable
since the lake is famous for being ice-cold.

The sailing/camping aboard was exhilarating, challenging and lots of fun!!!
Can't wait to do it again.

Slim