[Rhodes22-list] Apostle Islands

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Aug 19 09:38:20 EDT 2005

Slim,

I'm so relieved...

I was lying out on my boat 2 nights ago, looking at the stars, thinking
that we hadn't heard from you in a while, and hoping that you had not
sailed off into the sunset, unable to find your way back.

More navigation next winter.  I am planning to bring my pelorus back to
the boat and use it to establish fixes for the anchoring project.  I
think the pelorus (sometimes called a "dumb compass") is a more accurate
instrument for this purpose than either a magnetic compass or a GPS.  I
will test it against a fluxgate compass, which I also have on board, but
if I had to put up money, I'd bet on the pelorus.

Glad you had a great time.  Glad you got back.

Bill Effros