[Rhodes22-list] Apostle Islands Pix

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Aug 19 23:34:24 EDT 2005

Ditto.

Except I use a "sand screw" (I don't know what they call those things)
on the beach, and watch the tides carefully (9 foot tidal variation
every 6 hours) slipping the line on the bow and stern cleats, moving the
boat deeper or shallower as required.

My absolute favorite application of this technique was an elderly couple
(they were probably the same age I am now) I used to watch every night
when I was learning to sail my Sunfish who would go out for an evening
supper in their wooden power boat.  He carefully backed the boat up to
the loading ramp, put down the swim ladder, got out of the boat in
wading boots with 2 plastic milk cartons and a small piece of carpet.
He put the milk cartons upside down in the water, and the carpet at the
water's edge.  He then took his wife's hand, and helped her walk from
the shore to the boat without getting her feet wet.  He then picked up
the carpet, the plastic milk cartons, climbed into the boat, and off
they went.

Bill Effros