[Rhodes22-list] Boom room and Stan's Idea

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 20 13:18:09 EDT 2005

Bill,
Well said.

The last time I asked Stan about the Boom Room he said he was not happy with
the current supply situation and because the demand was so small, the
product was a bit over-priced.  He added that he did not recommend it at
that time.  The idea that we should somehow "overpay" (defined as perceived
value<cost) for this or any item just to keep GB in business is absurd.  Why
don't we all just make donations to the company instead?

As for Stan's idea about a 5% commission for selling a boat on the list, I
think it's a great idea, but the actual implementation of it will be
difficult to impossible.  It would end up being a strictly voluntary
situation.  Personally, if I were going to sell my boat I would run an add
on the list and would also ask Stan to sell it for me for a commission.  I
might even bring it to Edenton and put it there on consignment.  However, I
am not planning to sell my boat, so sorry about that Stan...

I do have an idea for Stan to improved the financial health of GB.  The R-22
website is very well done.  Why not add a parts catalog section where parts
can be ordered online?  I don't know, but I suspect most owners check with
West Marine first if they need a part and then call Stan if they can't find
it.  There is a lot of money from parts going elsewhere because of this.
Stan could probably charge at least as much as West Marine(which is rarely a
bargain), maybe even more because of the convenience and the certainty that
the part will fit.  I suspect that this would quickly turn into a very
profitable and sizeable part of the business.

But then, who knows, I could be wrong...
Bob K
Yankee Clipper