[Rhodes22-list] boom room and boat cost

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Aug 22 01:14:52 EDT 2005

Jim,

Thanks for the site.

And, yes, there are real differences--it's a point that is so hard to make.

I owned a MacGregor with a pop top enclosure.  It is not in the same
league as Stan's pop top enclosure.  It neither fit nor worked as well.
It was not as well suited to the task.

The R-22 has so many built in features we take for granted, that over
time we forget what we've got.  The MacGregor Pop Top on my 26X did not
rise vertically, so rain fell into the cabin when it was up.  The Pop
Top also admitted water when it was down (something we never even think
about in an R-22.)   Because of these factors, it is difficult to
construct a Pop Top enclosure using the pop top itself to support the
enclosure.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at in the pictures you sent, but
in one the Pop Top seems to be down, and in the other there is no sail.
Both appear to be "Bimini Rooms" (like Roger's) rather than Boom Rooms
(like Stan's).  The advantage of Stan's design is that the structure is
supported by the boom so you are not carrying a lot of hardware around
(The entire Boom Room can be stowed in a rubbermaid container under the
cockpit seat when not in use) and you have more head room because it is
built on top of the boom, not under it.  Also Stan's Boom Room provides
privacy, and screening.

The center section of the MacGregor Bimini Rooms don't appear to be
supported by anything.  The center sections are more like sun shades,
and don't seem to have the ability to take side panels.  Stan's Boom
Room actually creates an enclosed room that is private, and will keep
out the bugs while allowing you to sleep in comfort.  There are real
differences.

My original point was that because of things beyond MacGregor's control,
he cannot simply steal Stan's Boom Room and put it on his boat.  It
won't work.  I doubt that it would work on any other boat either.

Look at the captain's seats on the MacGregor.  I think I know where he
got that idea, too.  But they just don't compare to Stan's Captain's
seats, and I haven't seen any on any size boat that look 1/2 as
comfortable as the ones we've got.

And so it goes.

Bill Effros