[Rhodes22-list] Isn't it sad (used to be Stan's lament...)

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 22 17:47:31 EDT 2005

<Stan has an advantage here, if he can find someone to help him put the BOOK
together>

Isn't this sad.  As Stan wrote earlier;  His Rhodes is one of the few 22
foot cruisers still in production.

Thirty years ago when I bought my first cruiser just about every
manufacturer featured such a boat in his product line.  Ideal first cruisers
and great week-enders.

Today the economics of manufacture and the inflated cost of ownership have
relegated these sensibly sized boats to the status of relics.  I agree, the
details of these practical vessels must be documented before our collective
memory fades.

Years ago I started cruising in an Albin 19.   I found weekending to be a
delightful, economic and stimulating activity.  Today a  boat such as the
Albin which cost me $6,500 in 1979 dollars would easily sell  for $25,000
and probably more.  Who would commit that kind of money to such a small
vessel?

A seasons mooring with launch service used to cost $450. Now it's more then
$1,000!  Let's not talk about a slip...!  Hauling, winter storage another
$1,000.

Burdensome environmental regulations, extortionate moorage contracts and the
rocketing costs of marine supplies now mandate a major economic commitment
by even a relatively affluent boat owner.

So what's the result.  At $50,000 a new Rhodes is to expensive for the
average guy.  So Stan cant sell many new ones.  However, uniquely, Rhodes
ownership brings a major economic plus because GB makes the Rhodes 22
market.  A remanufactured Rhodes is a great boat at the right price.  The
deal simply can't be beat!

But as to the overall marine market  With very few exceptions small used
boats are cheap and plentiful.  But it costs an arm and leg to sail and own
them.  Try to sell an older mass produced smallish cruiser....?  many times
it's impossible to give them away (literally)

The day of the non-trailered small sailing cruiser is passed.  A sad state
of affairs and I for one see no prospect that matters doing any thing but
worsening.

Richard Smith