[Rhodes22-list] Chinese Boom Rooms?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Aug 24 01:21:37 EDT 2005

Brad Haslett emailed me off-list regarding our discussion of boom rooms,
etc. which he has been following while vacationing in China.

Brad asked if anyone would have an interest in his exploring Chinese
manufacture of Boom Rooms, Sails, Pop-Top Enclosures, Cockpit and Cabin
Cushions, Cockpit Fill in Boards, -- all the little stuff the Chinese
can make for a fraction of what it costs to manufacture in the US.

I have not asked Stan about this, and I don't think Brad has either,
however it goes without saying that if Stan doesn't like the idea, Brad
is not going to do it.  Stan would make money on every item made in
China, and whatever he says is his cut, that's what he'll get.  There
will be no negotiation on this.

But before he even begins the project, Brad wants to know how the
ultimate consumers feel about this idea.  If Brad can set up
manufacturing in China with Stan's approval, would Rhodes owners buy the
Chinese made products?

Stan would have to provide the original patterns and specifications, but
that is all Stan would have to do.  Brad believes he can set up a
reliable manufacturing operation in China that will produce any of these
products to Stan's satisfaction at a lower cost than Stan can get them
produced in the US.

5 of us indicated an interest in Boom Rooms.  Me, Chris, Dave, Bruce,
and maybe Bob.  (Did I miss anyone?)  I would be willing to be the
guinea pig on this. How do the rest of you feel?  Bob, if we could bring
the price down, at what price would you be a player?

What about people who want Pop Top Enclosures, or Battened IMF sails, or
cockpit fill in cushions?  Is there a price for these items that would
prompt you to take money out of your pocket and put it on the table?

Look at Stan's options prices on his web site
(http://www.rhodes22.com/super_options.html).  Is there something you
would actually buy if the price were lower?  If so, what would the price
have to be?

Brad is returning to the US shortly, and doesn't have much time to see
if he can set up something like this.  If you think this is a terrible
idea, please speak up quickly so we all know where we stand.

I think this is an interesting idea if Brad can actually do it.  It is
something we can all do to put more money in Stan's pocket right away,
while buying parts for our boats at a lower cost.  It's a win-win...if
Brad can pull it off.

Please note.  Brad is a commercial airline pilot who no longer owns a
Rhodes 22.  There is nothing in this deal for him.  He will always make
more money flying an airplane than getting involved in a crazy sailboat
spare parts Chinese manufacturing scheme.  He just happens to be in
China right now, saw Stan's Lament, and asked if there was anything he
could do to help.

Bill Effros