[Rhodes22-list] Oriental to Ocracoke

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 28 17:43:07 EDT 2005

Bill W and All Rhodies,

The Oriental to Ocracoke trip is postponed to October 20 - October 24.  Just too many problems  with Labor Day.  When we learned the Anchorage marina on Silver Lake tripled it's rates (3 day minimum) in honor of the working man's holiday, well that was the last straw.

October 24, in fact, is Labor Day in New Zealand.  That seems fitting for this somewhat challenging trip as the Kiwis are pretty good sailors.  In any case, we now have four boats committed to this adventure:

s/v  Raven   R22, skipper yours truly, Chapel Hill, NC

s/v  C'est La Vie   Paceship 23, skipper George B, Asheboro, NC

s/v XKE   Tanzer 26, skipper Lawrence M, Cary, NC

s/v  Not Named Yet?   MacGregor 26M  Kent and Tasha W, Chapel Hill, NC  (my new neighbors)

Watching the weather carefully is certainly the key to success for this trip.  Late October is much more likely to have fewer hurricanes and is hopefully too early for nor'easters.  In any case, as always, everyone decides for themselves whether to continue or not.  We are just trying and hoping for ideal conditions.  If the weather is not good, there are plenty of things to do in an around Oriental.

So if any of you Rhodies out there have the itch for adventure and can set aside 5 days in late October, you are more than welcome to join us.  We actually think this trip can take less than 5 days (3 in good conditions), but have allowed 5 days just in case we have to wait out some weather.

If you think you might be interested or want more information, feel free to contact me directly.

Fair Winds,

PT

>From Claiborne Young's "Cruising Guide To  Coastal North Carolina"
  A reputation for wicked wind and waves has long been the Pamilco's lot.  It is quite true that breezes over 10 knots, particularly from the NE, can stir up a nasty chop.  A 15 knot wind can render a cruise uncomfortable, and gusts of 25 knots or more are dangerous.  The shallow depths aid in the formation of short (close together), steep waves, quite different from rolling offshore swells.  When the wind has its dander up, the waters of the Pamilco Sound can jar the fillings out of your teeth.  What is often ignored, however, are the many days of light to moderate breezes when cruising the Pamilco is a most pleasant experience, particularly for sailors.