[Rhodes22-list] China Report

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 18:55:08 EDT 2005

Hello Rhodies,

This will have to be short because of limited time and
access to the net.  We just returned from four days in
the coastal city of Dalian. You'll get the full report
after we're back in the US.

Chinese boom rooms - Every curtain in our house has
been custom made in Beijing, including some new ones
made this trip.  We also have some seat cushions made
for our fireplace made during last years trip.
Material is cheaper here and labor is WAY cheaper.
There are lots of Mom and Pop operations that can make
anything you want, to the level of quality you want,
provided YOU know what you want and can provide the
details.  My mission is to find the Mom and Pop that
has access to the best suited material and give them
the specs/drawings/sample to work from.  My guess is
that shipping will cost more than material and labor,
and the total cost will be 1/4 of the present.  Stan
will get sales he otherwise wouldn't get, R-22 owners
get cushions, boomrooms, etc., they otherwise wouldn't
buy because of price, and Mr. and Mrs. China get work
that they will greatly appreaciate.  Now the challenge
is to find Mom and Pop, the material, and the buyers.
I'm not without my own selfish interests here.  My
boat needs new salon and berth covers so I'm looking
for someone to the that work anyway.  For those of you
travelling to other parts of China, speak-up if you
find the right resource.  There is absolutely no
profit incentive here for me, and I will gladly pass
on the baton if you stumble onto the right people.

Brad