[Rhodes22-list] NPR story

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Aug 31 23:30:12 EDT 2005

Thanks, Gregg,

That's magic!

I think that when one is unable to plug the levee, as seems to be the
case in this instance, there is a temptation to blow smoke for a while.

The engineer said several times that pumping was the most efficient way
to get the water out.  He also said that the levee was breached to a
depth of 26 feet in some places, and that as soon as they start pumping
some place else, the water will come right back into the city at the breach.

They are trying to put their fingers in the dike, but it seems they have
not yet succeeded, so we get a little bafflegab.

Bill Effros