[Rhodes22-list] Topping Lift Tension

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Sat Dec 10 14:31:11 EST 2005

Bud and all,

Stan also elegantly designed the loose footed boom on the R22 to have a
variable tack point adjustment.  In moderate air when seeking maximum power
from the fully deployed IMF main, adjust the main clew outhaul tackle tack
point fore and aft along the top of the boom so that the clew line, if
extended in a straight line forward and upward across the sail,  points
toward the luff of the of the sail at the mid point -- halfway between where
it intersects the mast between the head and tack of the main. Then, when you
adjust the main draft with the outhaul, it should power up the main evenly,
just like adjusting a headsail on any sloop.  Kapish?

PT