[Rhodes22-list] boom questions

Jim White lemenagerie22 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 07:23:19 EST 2005

I never have found the need for a boom brake either. Sometimes when I get real busy with other things when I'm going downwind I rig a simple preventer as you suggested, but even then jibes are almost always a non issue to me....If I pole out, wing on wing, I can usually not even bother with a preventer, and just push it to the max on the genny side, alleviating any worries of an accidental jibe....
  jw

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
  I agree with Michael here. A boom brake just isn't necessary on the R22.
Then again, I've always been accused of being a charter member of the KISS
society. I like to keep things simple and uncluttered. To many things to deal with
can really hamper your ability to deal with a crisis when it shows up at the
worst possible moment.....and believe me, I've had a few pop up from time to
time.
Now, that being said, when going down wind wing on wing, a preventer can be
really nice, but that's a whole different animal and easily done with a spare
line and a little imagination.

Rummy

Jim White
Le Menagerie