[Rhodes22-list] JW's new website

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Wed Feb 9 17:41:01 EST 2005

Jim,

Nice site. Boy does HAZWOPER bring back some memories. I used to work for
three environmental firms and some of the modeling programs we used to use
had great names, too - all those acronyms.

In the first, owned by an ex-professor at Virginia Tech, we developed a
water quality sensor that used the ventilatory behavior of bluegill fish to
monitor water quality. I got to travel to Sydney for three weeks for that
one - that was pretty cool. And I was awarded a patent for some software I
developed - also pretty cool. The bread-and-butter for that firm was aquatic
toxicology and biomonitoring. We used to use HEC-2 periodically, which was
so cryptic and painful to use at the time that we dubbed it "HELL-2".

In the second, we did a lot of subsurface contaminant flow and transport
modeling. I got to do a lot of 3-D visualizations and animations (primarily
for litigation support) which was also pretty cool since there weren't a lot
of other forms doing it at the time. To generate the "eye candy" we used the
data generated by the models we either developed or extended. Stuff w/ names
like ARMAS, BIOPLUME, BIOSLURP, BIOVENT (you don't want to be around when a
BIOVENT lets go with a BIOPLUME <g>), GRITS, HYPERVENTILATE, SpillCAD
(nicknamed "SpillCRUD"), VADSAT, and MOFAT.

The third was basically the same as the second only smaller - three of us
left and started a modeling sub-group within a local civil firm. Seems like
a lot of those guys had to go to HAZWOPER training - that's what triggered
this little side trip ....

Thanks for jogging the memories,

Mark "I wish I was sailing again, too..." Kaynor