[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear Energy

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 07:26:56 EST 2005

Bill,

Your concerns about the nuclear “genie” are precisely
those of the Los Alamos scientists.  An excellent book
on the subject is “Hiroshima in America: A Half
Century of Denial” by Lifton and Mitchell. For some
very recent perspective read;

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-allison17feb17,0,2948408,print.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions
Bill,

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0217/p09s01-coop.html

http://wired.com/wired/archive/13.02/nuclear.html

http://realclearpolitics.com/Commentary/com-2_13_05_SC.html

The problem with “putting it back in the bottle” is
that a number of responsible countries would have to
give up their primary power supply.  France, for
example, gets 70% of their electricity from nukes.  As
Roger pointed out, Iran doesn’t need nukes.  This
isn’t a matter of “fairness”, it’s a matter of
responsibility.  A nuclear armed Middle East might
have weapons pointed at each other but you can be
assured, they would all have nukes pointed at Israel.
It shouldn’t be allowed to develop and the recent sale
of bunker busting bombs to Israel was most likely
designed to prevent such a thing.

The CEO of Chevron-Texaco went on record this week
with the statement, “we are running out of cheap oil”.
 While this has been predicted for over a hundred
years, we are just now hearing the largest players in
the industry state it.

Nuclear power plants are “off-the-shelf” technology
that we can implement right now.  And yes, some
nations should be prevented from having them.  The
United Nations is a morally bankrupt institution and
can’t police this issue any more than it could “oil
for food”.  How do you keep nuclear products out of
the hands of untrustworthy nations?  That Sir, IS the
question of the century.

Brad