[Rhodes22-list] The US Energy Crisis (Was List Abuse)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Feb 20 17:11:19 EST 2005

Rummy,

Isn't the other nuclear reactor at Three Mile Island (TMI) still operating
and producing power?  As the most serious nuclear power incident in the
United States, TMI released no significant radiation, injured no one, and
the sister nuclear power plant on the same site is still operating?  The
world is full of so-called "brown field" sites that are not suitable for
residential construction.  Some of the worst come from coal mining , crude
oil/natural gas operations, and heavy industrial operations like steel mills
and chemical plants.  For example, the Dow Chemical Co. plant I used to work
in has been operating in Midland, MI for over 100 years.  It occupies over 7
square miles of prime real estate along the banks of the Tittabawassee River
(both sides).  Even if the Dow Chemical Co, were to cease operations at the
Midland site tomorrow, tear down every plant and building, the site would
never be suitable for residential construction.  There are hundreds of
similar "brown fields" in every state in the union.

Nuclear waste cannot be "permanently gotten rid of" in the manner other
types of hazardous waste are disposed of.  A toxic chemical molecule or
biological material can be incinerated or oxidized down to harmless carbon
dioxide and water vapor.  But, you can't do that with nuclear waste because
radioactivity is something that is toxic at the atomic level vs. the
molecular level with other types of hazardous waste.  Radioactive decay
occurs at its own pace.  There is nothing we can do to hurry radioactive
decay along or slow it down.  The rate of radioactive decay is not affected
by heat, pressure, or other chemical agents.  All you can do with nuclear
waste is safely store it in some manner for a sufficiently long period of
time.

Big power and infrastructure projects are expensive and take time to
implement.  For example:

Nuclear Power Plant: 1500 MW
Cost: About $3E9
Time To Implement: 10+ years
[% US Generation Capacity] = {[1500 MW] / [1.506E6 MW US Generating
Capacity]} * 100 = 0.0996%

Hydroelectric Dam + Power Plant: 500 MW
Cost: Depends Upon Site, But About $2E9 to $4E9
Time To Implement: 5-10 years
[% US Generation Capacity] = {[500 MW] / [1.506E6 MW US Generating
Capacity]} * 100 = 0.0473%

World Scale Corn-To-Ethanol Plant: 60E6 gal EtOH/Yr
Cost: About $35E6
Time To Implement: 3-5 years
[% US Gasoline Supply] = {[60E6 gal EtOH/yr] * [0.65 gal gasoline/gal EtOH]
/ [136.4E9 gal US Gasoline Prod/yr]} * 100 = 0.0286%
NOTE: Factor of 0.65 corrects for the differences between the energy content
and density of ethanol vs. gasoline

The point I'm trying to make is that each big energy and infrastructure
project takes many years to implement, costs millions or billions of
dollars, and only incrementally affects the overall US energy capacity.

The absolute worst thing we could do is what we are doing - nothing.  With
no coherent national energy policy, our dependence on foreign oil and
natural gas imports is already dangerously high and growing every year.
This lack of strategy absolutely delivers our country into the hands of OPEC
and the terrorists.  It is the underlying root cause of our foreign policy
and a major cause of our negative balance of trade.

Until the United States "fixes" its energy supply, things are only going to
get worse.

Just because the lights still come on when you flip the switch and you can
still buy gasoline at the corner filling station is no reason to become
complacent.  Take another look above at the tremendous costs, lengthy lead
times, and large numbers of facilities that would have to be built in order
to affect the overall US energy balance.  If we don't start working on this
issue now, by the time the problem is apparent to everyone will be way too
late.

You haven't suggested a workable solution.  You've just stuck your head in
the sand and continued to wail about how you don't want nuclear power &
don't trust the Yuka Mountain Long Term Nuclear Waste Repository while not
explaining how else energy independence can be accomplished.  C'mon, Rummy,
get in the game!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium