[Rhodes22-list] Energy Policy - Ed, Here's Your Reading Assignment

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 03:40:44 EST 2005

Ed,

I made it through the Energy Commission's
recommendations and Heartland's response but didn't
have time to read all 148 pages of the report. I'll
download it to my laptop and read it enroute to
Manchester while riding on Continental today.  You can
read most of Colin Campbells research(healthandenergy)
at peakoil.com.  If we see an energy bill come out of
this congress it will be because the Republican
controlled congress forces it to pass.  That doesn't
mean it won't get loaded down with "pork barrel"
provisions, and that was the death of the previous
bill. At this point, a mediocre energy policy would be
better than none at all.

Here is your reading assignment.  Attached is a paper
I wrote a few months ago on fuel hedging. Starting on
page 20 is an over-simplified explanation of "peak
oil".  While we will never actually run out of oil, we
are seeing the end of cheap and easy oil.  Canadian
tar sands, for example, hold tremendous potential.
That is precisely why the Chinese are investing in
them, however, it isn't as cheap as poking a hole and
pumping and the environmental damage is horrendous.

Happy reading!

Brad

http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/cudkv/wssd/energy.html

http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/14662/story.htm