[Rhodes22-list] Energy Policy - Oops!

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 03:55:52 EST 2005

Bill,

I'm out in the field hedging my own financial future
so this will be quick.

The $25/barell number is correct and prior to 2004 was
the benchmark number analysts used to discount cash
flow from a well for valuation.  I don't have the
original sources on my laptop but I can get them for
you.

Constantly being on the right side of a hedge is not
the point.  If you hedge just to make money its called
speculating.  You may as well send the CEO to Atlantic
City with the payroll.  Hedging only makes sense for
those with a product to sell, oil/soybeans/etc., or
companies who must buy the same commodities to
operate.  Hedging only protects from wild cost swings
and allows firms to stay on budget.

Southwest, contrary to popular belief, does not have
the lowest labor costs.  Their employees are nearly
100% union and their pilots are among the highest paid
in the industry for the equipment they fly
(airlinepilotpay.com).  However, their employees are
the most productive in the industry and that has made
all the difference.

If you were to remove all labor costs from the
industry and the airline employees worked for free as
a hobby, competition would center around equipment
aquisition costs, utilization, and fuel.  Bad
management could still screw themselves into
bankruptcy with stupid decisions.

BTW, you are now supporting airline pensions through
the Pension Guaranty Board.  The PGB was never
intended to cover companies that shed their
obligations through Chapter 13, only Chapter 7, and
now faces its own solvency problems.

Thank god for freight!

Brad

=== message truncated ===