[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear Energy Replies

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 23 18:28:11 EST 2005

Bill,

Of course, we can't get into North Korea to check on the exact method they
used to obtain nuclear weapons.  However, North Korean Vice Foreign
Minister Choe Su Hon said on Sept. 27, 2004; that, his country has turned
plutonium extracted from 8,000 spent nuclear fuel rods into several nuclear
weapons.

Experts have said the rods could yield enough plutonium for eight bombs.

So, what's going on here?  Well, naturally occuring uranium contains about
99.7%wt of a nonfissionable isotope of uranium called U-238 and about 0.3%wt
of the fissionable isotope of uranium called U-235.  Nuclear fuel rods
typically are enriched in the U-235 isotope up to about 40%wt, with the
remainder being U-238.  Under bombardment by neutrons in the core of a
nuclear power reactor, some of the nonfissionable U-238 atoms get converted
into a fissionable isotope of plutonium called PU-242.  By the time the
nuclear fuel rods have been used to generate electricity for about 18
months, the amount of remaining U-235 is too low to be able to sustain the
nuclear chain reaction to produce the required heat.  The PU-242 atoms do
not undergo nuclear fission under these conditions, so they tend to
accumulate.  The fuel rods are said to be "spent".  During the refueling of
a nuclear reactor, these spent fuel rods are removed and temporarily stored
underwater in a specially built storage pool on the same site as the nuclear
power plant.  Under the 1994 treaty, the United States had television
cameras looking at the nuclear reactor and storage pool 24/7.  Inspectors
were present during all refueling operations.  North Korea had to play along
until a sufficient stockpile of spent fuel rods had been built up.  But,
they needed that time in order to secretly build their nuclear fuel rod
reprocessing facility in secret.   Once North Korea had enough spent fuel
rods, and their spent fuel rod reprocessing facility was finished, all they
needed to do was turn off the TV cameras, kick the inspectors out of the
country, and proceed to manufacture weapons-grade plutonium.

So, unless you have some information that I don't, I guess I'll take Choe Su
Hon at his word regarding how they did it.  Therefore, the treaty negotiated
by Clinton and Carter with North Korea in 1994 led directly to the situation
we now find ourselves in.

Any questions?

Roger Pihlaja

S/V Dynamic Equilibrium