[Rhodes22-list] how straight does a rudder need to be?

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Mon Jan 3 08:25:06 EST 2005

Roger, thanks for your analysis, it does help though not in the way I hoped.

You are saying that if the bottom gudgeon is off-center to port, we will
make things worse if we fix it. That was my second thought - after thinking
that maybe we'd found the problem. Because of all the angles involved
(tiller position, the fact that the rudder in use is tucked somewhat
forward, the effects of a slight heel to starboard on port tack,
misalignment with the keel, etc.) I've been breaking my brain trying to
figure out if it is more complicated than that. Guess it was indeed wishful
thinking.

The bottom gudgeon is indeed 5/16" off center to port which makes the
bottom tip of the rudder 1" to the left of vertical with the rudder almost
all the way down and the rudder head centered.

Thanks again.

Mary Lou