[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear waste Issue

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 17:32:53 EST 2005

Waste is at least a significant social problem.  The technical solutions
which exist all have drawbacks, any of which seems unacceptable to
at least some constituency.  Yucca mountain is now being help up in
an argument over whether it is to be certified for 10,000 years or
100,000 years (I forget the exact numbers).  This is past the realm of
technical decision.

Any closed fuel cycle system (breeder reactors) has the problem of
additional transportation and reprocessing of significant amounts of
fuel, with the attendant risk of terrorism or redirection.  In addition
there
is a hugh capital investment required, again requiring some significant
level of assurance that the solution is socially acceptable in the end.
There are a number of closed fuel cycle proposals with inherently stable
reactors and advanced fuel processing which appear to be promising.
The level of economic commitment necessary to implement any of them
implies strong political support as well - I don't see that for a while
yet.

Ron
(At this point I should come out of the closet and admit that I am a
physicist.  it doesn't mean that I am right about these things - just
more
embarrassed when I am wrong)