[Rhodes22-list] The Hydrogen Economy

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 04:37:38 EST 2005

Roger,

The Dec/Jan issue of Biodiesel Magazine (which just
arrived yesterday) had a short article on a new plant
coming on line in Moscow, TN, which is on my route to
the lake.  This plant is using used cooking oil as its
only feedstock.  As you say, there isn't enough used
fry oil to make a dent in the fuel balance.  However,
it smells better on the boat.  My biggest concern is
stability (I use less than 10 gallons per year) and
biodiesel is so highly detergent that if used at 100%
in an old engine it loosens all the "crud" in the
tank/lines/injector pump and clogs the injectors.
I'll probably start with about a 20% mixture at first
and see how it goes.  When fuel costs stabalize around
$2.50 per gallon I'll start shopping for another
diesel car. The problem is, if everyone traded their
gas guzzlers for diesels and hybrids tomorrow, it
would be four years before any net savings would take
place since that's about the break-even for the energy
required to build a new car.  The most energy
efficient decision any consumer can make is to drive
their current vehichle until the wheels fall off  and
then scrap it.  The Chinese are anxious for the scrap!

Brad Haslett

=== message truncated ===