[Rhodes22-list] Nuclear Waste Disposal (Was The Hydrogen EconomyII)

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 18 13:16:16 EST 2005

Rummy,

The last I heard, only NASA and a few other governmental space agencies with
similar safety records were capable of launching something beyond earth
orbit.  If you know of some other means of getting a payload to the sun;
then, please disclose it.

I think it's really a shame how you put down government civil servants.  I
personally know many employees of NASA, the NRC and the EPA and find them to
be highly competent and dedicated folks.  You should consider watching less
"X-Files".

Rummy, the most dangerous part of the whole permanent nuclear waste disposal
issue is getting the waste from the storage pools at the power plants to the
permanent repository.  Once the waste is in the repository, sealed up in its
massively armored alloy steel storage cask, encased in reinforced concrete,
and buried inside a stable geologic formation underneath a mountain, there's
nothing left to be done except guard the entrance.  There is no cooling
system to be monitored, which would allow the waste to overheat if it
failed.  The nuclear waste just sits there undergoing radioactive decay and
the massive rock formation carries away all the heat.

I'm glad the transport issues from the nuclear plants to the repository
don't concern you.  What would it take to make you feel comfortable about
the repository itself?  Would you feel better if it were run by a private
contractor?  How about if Greenpeace were to run it?

Hey, I'm absolutely calm.  You seem to be the only one here that needs a
couple of stiff drinks.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium