[Rhodes22-list] Navigation

Richard Smith sailnut at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 18 16:50:39 EST 2005

I cruised L.I. Sound for 20 years with only a hand bearing compass, the
ships compass and the NOAA charts.  Towards the end we had a Loran which was
useful (but not necessary) for obtaining the correct bearing to my
destination.

You might think about buying a marine binocular which is very useful in
reading buoy numbers.

With this equipment plus some simple plotting instruments I navigated in fog
and dark without incident.

Richard Smith

PS:  A real MUST is a radio which can receive NOAA weather broadcasts.  In a
small boat being up to date on weather conditions and forecasts is VITAL!
Obtain one and use it religiously!!