[Rhodes22-list] How Much Energy To Launch A Payload Into Space?

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 10:59:56 EST 2005

The reason Roger's number is so high is that he is computing the power
needed during launch.  The reactors supply countinuous power, so the
comparison to reactor power is only valid if you are launching waste
continuously.  You would have to multiply by the launching duty factor,
(and then get serious about how you store and deliver the power when
needed, conversion efficiency, friction ...) to get a more valid estimate.

Ron