[Rhodes22-list] How Much Energy To Launch A Payload Into Space?

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 18:01:56 EST 2005

You don't have to go "up".

You could launch nearly horizontal, provided:
-	there isn't any higher ground down-range;
-	give a little extra boost to compensate for air friction while
passing through a lot of extra thickness of atmosphere; and (best of all),
-	you can tolerate the supersonic (maybe hypersonic?) shock wave on
and at the end of the rails.

Science is fun!

Jim Connolly