[Rhodes22-list] Topping lift

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 16:46:07 EST 2005

Bob,

I like the bosun's chair/main sheet tackle idea.  It seems like something
one could deploy pretty quickly.  The main sheet tackle has its own cam
cleat already there so that would help a lot, because at some point, the
person doing the hoisting would need both hands to grab the hoistee.  Is
that a word?  Or maybe instead of a chair, just a big loop to go around the
torso and under the arms of a person in the water.  Isn't there a padded
rescue harness like that?  I'd assume the person is unconscious or otherwise
unable to climb the boarding ladder, so they might not be able to sit up in
the chair.  I don't use a boom vang, but my wife has a Hmong student named
Boom Vang--no kidding.

In addition to Robert's caveats, I'd cleat the topping lift off on the mast
instead of trusting that tiny little block that it runs through by the
shroud, since mine and others are so-rigged.  There's no way that block
would hold much weight, but it would only take a moment to uncleat it from
its cam cleat on the cabin roof and secure it on the mast horn cleat.

It'll be interesting to try this drill to see how much the boat heels when a
person is lifted.  Thank you both for the suggestion.

Slim